Thank you to the members who have stepped forward to volunteer in the following positions! Volunteers are what makes our organization function and flourish!
- Gordon Stewart is our new President
- Christi York is our new Program Chair and Director at Large
- Nancy Milliken is a new Director at Large
- Norma Chambers is our new Secretary
We are still looking for a Treasurer as Gerry Chwelos has been Acting Treasurer for the last three years and would like to give up that position. If you know of someone who has some bookkeeping and computer experience (we use Quick Books), please contact the current president at firstname.lastname@example.org
A $20 membership to the CVHS offers an entire year of knowledgeable speakers at monthly meetings, the ability to visit some of the most lovely gardens in the Comox Valley, and the chance to get in on the Membership Plant Sales, which is a day in paradise for plant lovers.
Family memberships are available for $30, so make it a family gift!
2018 Membership Form
- Books dates with the Florence Filberg Centre a year in advance. Spring Plant Sale is typically held in April and the Fall Plant Sale is held in September. Kitchen is not needed, but one cordless microphone must be specifically requested;
- Solicits volunteers from the CVHS general membership. Sign-up sheets (see samples) should be available at the General meetings at least two (2) months, and preferably three (3) months ahead of the sale date;
- Organizes all meetings for the volunteers;
- Submits articles to the Newsletter Editor (deadline is the first Friday of every month, except July and December) with updates on the plant sale, requests for donations of plants and requests for volunteers;
- Submits a letter to the Ministry of Transport and Infrastructure (2015 contact is Tammy Thompson – see sample letter) at least two (2) weeks before the plant sale date, requesting permission to erect signs for a seven to eight day period at the intersections:
- 17th Street and Comox Road
- 26th Street and Cliffe Avenue;
- Arranges volunteers to erect three (3) signs before the event and take down same signs after the event around the Comox Valley:
- 17th Street and Comox Road
- 26th Street and Cliffe Avenue
- Ryan Road and Old Island Highway (19A);
- Communicates with all volunteers to ensure they know what position they are assigned to, when to report to the Florence Filberg Centre and what, if anything, to bring;
- Coordinates with the Publicity Chair to write articles for the two local newsletters, giving all of the pertinent information for the Club’s upcoming plant sale. Include a photo, if possible. Articles should be submitted two (2) to three (3) weeks ahead of the desired publication date to ensure the newspapers can find some column space;
- Deadline days and times for the Comox Valley Record newspaper:
- Tuesday edition – noon on the previous Friday (noon Thursday if Monday is a statutory holiday)
- Thursday edition – noon on the previous Monday (noon Friday if Monday is a statutory holiday);
- Deadline days and times for the Comox Valley Echo newpaper:
- Friday edition – noon on the previous Tuesday;
- Coordinates with the Publicity Chair to advertise in social/free media, such as Shaw TV, Kijiji, Craigslist, CTV Vancouver Island, Harbour Living, and any other suitable media outlets;
- Allowing a minimum of three (3) days, arrange for the printing of posters with Speedy Printing Centers, who the Club has an account with. When posters are ready, arrange for their distribution throughout the Comox Valley;
- Submits a monthly report to a Director before Executive meetings, or attends Executive meetings (first Wednesday of every month, except July and December);
- Once the sale is over and all outstanding receipts have been turned in, a further newsletter article is to be submitted to the Newsletter Editor, reporting the net amount raised and thanking all volunteers and plant donors.
NOTE: All materials for the plant sales and the road signs are currently stored by CVHS member, Darlene Berry, for 2015/2016.